The most expensive free eggs ever

Yesterday Hubby left me unattended for the day, and went to help a friend with a project.
I went for my morning walk with the little people and the dog.

A was walking ahead with Scout, and ran back with the exciting news that there was actually a person on a bike approaching from the end of the road. (We live on a cul-de-sac, where you see maybe three cars a day, and know every one of them.) It was our newest neighbour, whom we hadn't met before.
We exchanged greetings, and launched straight into talking about our various birds. 

He invited us over later to see his collection, and said he had some spare eggs he'd like to give to a good home. I said I had some fertile duck eggs to trade, and a deal was made.

The kids and I were equally excited to see his birds. The turkey tom was surprisingly the highlight, even though he also had a peacock. The poor peacock was sad after losing his mate to a fox, so we didn't see a tail feather display. There were also lots of Bantam hens, who amused the kids no end with their big attitude.

At the end of the visit we left with a box of 17 turkey eggs and one Bantam egg.

The size difference in the eggs is massive!
Which should have instantly made me think of incubator space, but my excitement got the better of me.

He also gave us a Bantam hen, who is sitting on two turkey eggs, and promised to catch a little rooster to match. We walked home, settled mama hen in her new home and dug out my little incubator. Remember the size difference in those eggs? Well, the 7 egg incubator only fits 4 turkey eggs. And my good incubator is full of duck eggs for another two weeks.

There is now a second, even bigger and better incubator on the way, hopefully arriving tomorrow. I returned a missed call from Hubby after the purchase, and just smiled. "What did you do?" he instantly asked. (I'm usually not so Cheshire cat-esque.) I gave him a few guesses, but he strangely didn't guess that I could aquire numerous new pets just by going for a stroll.

I'm about to head out for a swim, any guesses what will happen on this trip?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy, busy

This is us